Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Being a frugalista

That "ista" suffix is really cute. It transforms just about any word into an adorable noun and a group that you want to be part of.

One of the latest "istas" around is a frugalista, a thrifty yet trendy shopper. Probably the kind of shopper that devours articles entitled "For babes on a budget" or "How to snag killer finds for less."

I'm guilty of it. Whenever I strut into a store, rummage through racks, discover a totally rad top, skirt, dress, or pair of jeans that's significantly lower than I thought it would be, I internally celebrate and skip into the dressing room. Then, if at least one item fits like it was seriously made for my body alone, my lips stretch into a crazy happy grin.

One of the best things about being a frugalista is knowing how to be resourceful. This includes buying items that double as something else. For example, over the weekend I attended the first ever Frugal Fashion Week event in downtown Toronto. Held at The Drake Hotel, several vendors displayed gorgeous pieces of costume jewelry, clothing, shoes, handbags, and cosmetics. I snagged a chunky silver chain that can be worn as a necklace or belt. Then I saw dresses that can be worn in six different ways. Talk about being purposeful! Those frugalistas are brainalistas too!

0 comments: